lfevansjr

Children of Another Bible: We Were Not the Only Ones
Jonathan Maas
False Start
Alison Hendricks

Country Boy (Hot Off the Ice Book 2)

Country Boy (Hot Off the Ice Book 2) - A. E. Wasp I loved this book except for the parts that almost killed me and even those were well done. Ms. Wasp managed to one-up City Boy (book one) cuz even though it was awesome this one tops it easily! Ok, from the very start this was a hard book for me to read. Paul story is just a bit too close too home for me to be able read about his upbringing and family life with out it bringing up a lot of very painful memories. There were I number of times in the book where statements that Paul made expressing what he had been taught were almost verbatim of things I had heard for years. Though I didn't know anything about sex at the age of 7, I did know emphatically that I was gonna marry a boy when I grew up. It confused me to know end that my Mom kept telling me I couldn't say things like that. Then when I was at church when I was 13 for the first time I realized that the abomination the pastor was talking about was me. Needless to say I identify with Paul closely. Once I realized how hard this book was gonna be for me I almost decided to just not read it. But I'm stubborn and figured it would not be too bad so I continued... the end result is it stirred up a heck of a lot of crap I had thought buried for good or that I had worked through. However, I am glad I kept going cuz it was a bit cathartic. I didn't get Paul's happy ending, my parents still don't seem to have a clue how to deal with having a gay son and I'm 52. Anyway, this story is so well done I can only assume that the author did her research thoroughly and talked to those who have had these types of experiences cuz her telling of it was perfect. The quote I added from this book about hating oneself is so dead on... I still struggle with it every day. One last thing I gotta say. Even if our society has come a long way from where in was 31 yrs ago when I cam eclose to killing myself it still has a long way to go till homophobia and hate are gone and no more young men and women kill themselves because they were born gay.